CA in a hurry

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Tue, 16 Nov 2004 18:48:28 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jenneetah" <yardbird@vermontel.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 5:49 PM
Subject: Re: CA in a hurry

> I've never used sandpaper to shim with, figuring that after a while, under
> the pressure the paper backing will disintegrate and then you're left with
> a hole lined with Alox or garnet particles of whatever size (80 grit? 100,
> 150?) free to move and function as a lapping compound. Gross Encounters of
> the Loose Kind.

Confession:  I've never shimmed the whole hole.  I've just used narrow
strips that probably don't go more than a 1/4 of the way around the pin.
Gee, it seemed to work--for the years I was servicing those pianos, anyway.
If this is a sin, I wonder what my penance should be.  :-)   (BTW, that was
rhetorical.)

Barbara Richmond, RPT