A-440 and Ethics.

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 06:50:32 -0500

Hi Julia,

Comments below:

Terry Farrell
    Why? Example: piano is 150 cents flat. I would do two pitch raises, =
getting up to A440. Then I would give it a tuning. I would also explain =
to the owner that the tuning will not be as stable as a tuning on a =
typical piano that had been tuned on a regular basis. However, after a =
couple regular tunings, their piano should achieve relative stability.
     =20
    Terry Farrell

  Greetings,=20

            The customer only cares about the piano sounding musical. Do =
they really care if the tuning is satble? Prob not.=20

  I would argue that if the customer is willing to pay for a tuning - =
that is, they called you - they want it in tune today and likely would =
like it to be in some sort of reasonable tune tomorrow.

  Can a tuning sound good and yet not be stable?

  Yes.

            When you say stable tuning, do you mean the best-est =
sounding tuning of all three passes? (2 pitch raise passes then the =
tuning)=20

  By stable, I am not at all addressing what it sounds like the moment I =
am done tuning, but rather how well the piano will remain in tune =
tomorrow, next week and next month.

            In other words, if you do 2 passes then fine tune it at the =
first apppointment, it will probably sound musical; and if you tune it =
again say.. a week to 2 months later, then that will be an even better, =
more musical tuning...right?

  I don't know about more musical (most pianos don't sound terribly =
musical!), but sure, the more it is tuned the better the tuning will be =
and the longer the tuning will last.

            I find that they sound better on the second appointment.

  Absolutely. I simply find that there is quite a cost/effort savings in =
doing a fine tuning at the same appointment as a pitch raise. A agree =
that a tuning a couple weeks after a pitch raise would likely be more =
stable, but I also find that piano owners that have let the piano go a =
quarter step flat most often aren't going to be able to tell the =
difference in any potential stability gains anyway. They'll get that =
good stable tuning in six months (or six years, depending on their =
tuning schedule!).
  But nothing wrong either way. Two different ways of getting to a =
similar point. I just find that most folks prefer the cost savings and =
the simplicity of one appointment.

  Julia
  Reading, PA