Howard Grand identification

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 07:04:54 -0500

The action that I posted on a couple days ago (front rail punchings...) =
is a Baldwin "Monarch" about 5-foot and has no support beams in the =
belly. I think it also has a two-piece fallboard and no markings on the =
plate. Oh, and it has a kinda crappy action.

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Al Finley=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 11:30 PM
  Subject: Howard Grand identification

  Hi Piano Tech list.=20
  I would like to get your input to help me identify a piano I worked on =
today.  The owners were told it was a Howard grand made by Baldwin.  It =
has been rebuilt and the Howard name is not on it anymore.  It has =
tuning pin bushings, no markings on the plate as to the manufacturer, a =
fall board that folds back on itself and then folds back under.  It has =
no support beams and is about 5' 5" but I didn't measure it, that's just =
an estimate.  Could this be a Howard?  Are there other things to look =
for to help identify it?

   I had my doubts because I know that Baldwin does not have tuning pin =
bushings (at least not in models that I'm aware of).  Also, I know of no =
models of Baldwins that do not have support beams. =20

  What do you think? =20

  Al F.