Howard Grand identification

Al Finley apfinley@yahoo.com
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 21:35:31 -0800 (PST)

Did Baldwin actually make the Howard and the Monarch?  Somewhere I got the idea that Kawai made some Howards for Baldwin.  Am I looney?  Also, do the plates on the Howards have the name Baldwin or Howard molded into the casting.  This one has no name on the plate.

BTW, the maybe Howard I'm trying to identify does have a medallion on the inner rim that says Baldwin or House of Baldwin.  But I thought that kind of thing could just be purchased from Baldwin perhaps and stuck on there, just like you can buy a decal and stick it on any piano.  That is if you don't mind doing time for fraud.

Al F.

Farrell <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
The action that I posted on a couple days ago (front rail punchings...) is a Baldwin "Monarch" about 5-foot and has no support beams in the belly. I think it also has a two-piece fallboard and no markings on the plate. Oh, and it has a kinda crappy action.

Terry Farrell
----- Original Message -----
From: Al Finley
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 11:30 PM
Subject: Howard Grand identification

Hi Piano Tech list.
I would like to get your input to help me identify a piano I worked on today.  The owners were told it was a Howard grand made by Baldwin.  It has been rebuilt and the Howard name is not on it anymore.  It has tuning pin bushings, no markings on the plate as to the manufacturer, a fall board that folds back on itself and then folds back under.  It has no support beams and is about 5' 5" but I didn't measure it, that's just an estimate.  Could this be a Howard?  Are there other things to look for to help identify it?

 I had my doubts because I know that Baldwin does not have tuning pin bushings (at least not in models that I'm aware of).  Also, I know of no models of Baldwins that do not have support beams.

What do you think?

Al F.