Action flange crushing

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 08:14:41 -0700

>inthe early days i remember ptg convention classes and instructor told
>about 18 lbs torque for hammer and whippen screw.. i got a torque wrench
>and practiced a little and anybody can get that feell.. it works.. a few my
>collegues came to my shop and practiced with torque wrench to get that
>feel.. try it!!

Isaac,

     Thanks for the response.  This is exactly the sort of info that I
was looking for, and for the reason that you give.  It seems to me
that this would be useful information for techs (especially beginning
techs) so that they could calibrate their hand (or wrist), so to
speak.  If it really is important for the flange to be as tight as
possible, but not crushed, then it's surprising to me that someone
(factory or action manufacturer) hasn't published a torque spec.
Also, I would assume that there could be some relation between screw
torque and long term tightness of the flange, and that some factory
would have investigated this.  My assumption would be that tighter
would be better for long term flange tightness, but I've done no
experimenting to prove this.
    I contacted several factory service departments about this.  Not
one had a torque spec.  This response from Schimmel might be
considered representative (I'm paraphrasing slightly as I don't have
the response in front of me):

Thank you for your interesting inquiry.  We rely on the trained hands
of our factory technicians to make the screws tight enough but not
too tight.  This has worked for us for 120 years.

They then referred me to Renner.  Who then referred me to Renner USA.
Who then referred me to Rick Baldassin.  Who then told me that he
wasn't aware of any such spec.  He did say that years ago he attended
a class given by Baldwin in which they had a torque measuring
screwdriver and demonstrated what they considered to be appropriate
torque.  Anyone out there attend that class?  Do you remember the
torque number specified?

Interesting that you have the number of 18 lbs (is that 18 in.-lbs,
by the way?).  One factory rep told me, off the record, that he
believed that 12 in-lbs would crush a maple flange.  Also, Guy
Nichols seemed to recall that the Baldwin factory used 10 lbs (10
in.-lbs?) for action screws.

As soon as my desire for information becomes stronger than my
resistance to paying $160 for a torque measuring screwdriver I'll
measure some torques myself.  If so I'll report back.

Regards,

Phil Ford

--
Phillip Ford