How do we tell customers that the work done on theirpianosstinks?

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 11:32:26 -0500

Hi Terry,

>>Maybe the best thing to do is have this piano owner play a good =
performing new piano and then ask her how much she is really attached to =
her original antique hammers. If she can't put two-and-two together, =
then perhaps it doesn't matter.

<grin>

Well, to tell you the truth, she's a talented composer and an excellent =
violinist/violist, but she's a lousy pianist.  (And she teaches piano to =
pay some of her educational expenses, which is kinda scary...)  She can =
well appreciate the subtleties of a fine violin or viola (and has a =
couple of very nice instruments), but she bangs and whangs rather =
clumsily at the piano.  Anyway, she has access to some very fine pianos =
and has undoubtedly played them.  (At the Calif. Inst. of the Arts, =
where she did her undergrad work, it seems I saw 9' Bosie Imperials =
sitting around everywhere!)  She should know how a fine instrument =
plays.

On one hand, your suggestion may be valid that it doesn't matter, so =
long as she can't tell the difference.  On the other hand, she's not a =
typical pianist.  She wants to start a career scoring films, and I =
really think she needs a piano that sounds/performs like other pianos.  =
Overly bright/flattened/grooved hammers don't sound like normal hammers. =
 More significantly, overly worn dampers are waaaay too slow to damp.  =
She might compose something that would "work" for her Knabe but would =
wouldn't sound right on a well maintained piano.  IMO, it needs the work =
done, even if she doesn't appreciate the difference.  Moreover, as you =
said, Knabe made some very nice uprights.  I think this one is worth a =
bit of work, albeit perhaps not a complete restoration.  As she moves =
forward with her career, she may well want to acquire a better piano but =
keep the Knabe for its karma value.  Or she could always do that full =
restoration.  Hey, I know this guy in Florida who turns out some awsome =
belly work!  ;-)

Thanks, Don, for the museum curator approach!    Thanks also, David, for =
your confidence in her ability to trust what I tell her about her piano. =
 Unfortunately, I'm not a professional, so she doesn't think I know =
anything -- and she's a composition student, which means she knows =
"everything."  My best approach may well be to tell her that I sought =
out the advice of professionals throughout the world, who were unanimous =
in their opinion on the subject!!  ;-)

Peace,
Sarah