How do we tell customers that the work done on theirpianosstinks?

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:37:13 -0500

"Has *anyone* drawn up any guidelines as to the average service life of =
a hammer or damper felt?"

Again, car analogy, however, in this case we need to specify race car. =
Your run-or-the-mill Chevy Impala (or just about any other car) is =
utilitarian in nature. You need to change oil, fan belts, brakes, hoses, =
alternators, batteries, etc. either to prevent failure, or after the =
thing fails. On a race car, we change tires, shocks, pistons, valves, =
transmissions not so much to prevent failure, but rather to achieve the =
performance characteristics we are looking for.

The piano that sits unused most of the year and only rings out a tune =
when uncle Fred drops into town at Christmas and kicks out a Christmas =
carol is a utilitarian piano, much like the Impala. However, many, if =
not most, pianos are performance instruments - the players are trying to =
play well - they are trying to improve. So, the life of a hammer or =
damper is more based on whether it is meeting your performance needs, =
rather that whether its life span is up. And that is going to vary =
drastically from pianist to pianist.

Maybe the best thing to do is have this piano owner play a good =
performing new piano and then ask her how much she is really attached to =
her original antique hammers. If she can't put two-and-two together, =
then perhaps it doesn't matter.

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20