Action flange crushing

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 14:58:47 -0500

Hi Phil,

> Interesting that you have the number of 18 lbs (is that 18 in.-lbs,
> by the way?).  One factory rep told me, off the record, that he
> believed that 12 in-lbs would crush a maple flange.  Also, Guy
> Nichols seemed to recall that the Baldwin factory used 10 lbs (10
> in.-lbs?) for action screws.

I don't own a torque wrench, but I have a cordless Ryobi drill/screwdriver
that has torque settings from "5" to "25," as I recall.  Is this an inch-lb
scale?  (Not that I would use the thing on a flange screw --- but at least I
would know what 18 or 12 or 10 in-lb feels like on a screw placed into a 2x4
or something.)

Peace,
Sarah