CA in a hurry

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 19:57:44 -0700

Hi Cy, Points that I have never seen mentioned about pounding in the =
pins , are that it makes the piano even more unstable than with a pitch =
raise. It also changes the angle of the strings going to the tuning pin. =
In the case of some Baldwin acros this makes broken bass strings more =
likely and in some uprights, impossible to tune some strings, as the =
upper most string will not let the tuning tip go on the pin far enough =
to turn the pin.
So now I use CA first and tappity tap second if needed (RARE)
Joe Goss RPT
Mother Goose Tools
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Cy Shuster=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 6:39 PM
  Subject: Re: CA in a hurry

  One point about oversize pins vs. CA is that some old strings have =
such corrosion that the string may very well break when taking the =
tension down, removing the coil, and putting it back on the new, larger =
pin.
  =20
  I was improving the sound of bass strings on a 1923 Ellington grand by =
removing them from the hitch pin and rolling a loop.  It worked great =
for the first 8, but just loosening the tension and taking it back up =
again caused the 9th string to break at the becket, so I bailed out =
right there.
  =20
  With CA, that's not a worry (but if the coils are really close to the =
plate, CA'ing the string to the pin is a possibility -- even with a =
syringe needle!).  Plus, CA will fill any pinblock cracks, while an =
oversized pin may just enlarge them.
  =20
  --Cy Shuster--
  Bluefield, WV