Good book on voicing...?

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Fri, 19 Nov 2004 01:59:29 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: <Piannaman@aol.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, November 19, 2004 12:11 AM
Subject: Good book on voicing...?

> List,
> . . . . .Diagrams and graphic illustrations would be good:  where
> to stick needles, angle of travel, depth of insertion, and for what
> effect,
> . . . . . > Does anyone on this list know of a comprehensive text on this
> topic?
    > Dave Stahl

    This is a cynical view, I guess, but I think the reason there has been
no comprehensive book yet on voicing is that:
    Even expert voicers disagree on many of the points you mention.  Some
voice the side of the hammer for a certain result where someone else would
voice the crown or shoulder for that same result.  And they have different
procedures for different types of hammers.  And they disagree on the length
of needles to use and whether they should be round (cylindrical) or
triangular (glovers' needles).  Or they prefer applying liquids instead of
jabbing with needles.
    In 25 years of reading Journals and other piano literature and attending
chapter technicals and voicing classes & seminars at conventions, I've seen
only one diagram that showed which specific area to needle for attack, which
area for sustain, and which one for volume.  And it probably works for only
one type of hammer.
    Some voicers stab away madly with a 3-needle tool while someone else
might carefully do just one single-needle jab at a precise spot on the crown
to achieve the same result.
    If "a pleasing tone" weren't such a subjective, abstract, elusive
quality, subject to personal taste, there might be more concrete information
on the subject.
    There have been lengthy discussions about it on this list, not just in
general, but concerning Yamaha hammers, Renner blues, Abels, Asian hammers
in general, Steinway hammers, Hamburg Steinway (Steinweg) hammers, ad
infinitum.
    You could go through the archives looking for the discussions, but they
might be listed under any conceivable off-topic subject other than
"voicing."
    --David Nereson, RPT