Good book on voicing...?

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Fri, 19 Nov 2004 06:45:56 -0800

As Dave N. said there aren't many books.  Baldassin has a pamphlet that
you can get from Renner on the Renner Blue but the information is
sparse.  My suggestion would be to attend one of Mannino's classes on
voicing the Kawai hammer.  He's giving one in Sacramento in February.
You do have to listen to a little bit of Kawai hype (sorry Don) but it's
a very useful and informative class that will tell you quite a bit about
voicing that particular hammer and is applicable to many other hammers.
Often he does it in tandem with one of Kawai's master techs so it can be
an opportunity to watch and listen to them work as well.  Brooks also
gives a class for his Abels but I find his techniques are best used only
on his own hammers.  Anyway, the conventions are useful for this type of
thing.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net
-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Piannaman@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, November 18, 2004 11:12 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Good book on voicing...?

List,

What I'd really like for Christmas is a good book or video on voicing.
I feel am getting the hang of it, and have come up with some good
results, but I tend to be timid about over-puncturing hammers.  And I'd
certainly like to see a demo of battery voicing before I bludgeon
someone's nice, new grand piano with sharp objects.  Diagrams and
graphic illustrations would be good:  where to stick needles, angle of
travel, depth of insertion, and for what effect, etc.  Of particular
interest to me would be "voicing up."

The recent thread about fine-grit hammer sanding had some interesting
contributions.

Does anyone on this list know of a comprehensive text on this topic?
I'm looking forward to the publishing of Andre's book....:-)  I'm on
pins and needles (sorry, couldn't resist) awaiting an autographed copy.

Just thought I'd inquire,

Dave Stahl