Good book on voicing...?

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Fri, 19 Nov 2004 10:10:56 EST

In a message dated 11/19/04 6:47:36 AM Pacific Standard Time,=20
davidlovepianos@comcast.net writes:

> As Dave N. said there aren=E2=80=99t many books.  Baldassin has a pamphlet=
 that you=20
> can get from Renner on the Renner Blue but the information is sparse.  My=20
> suggestion would be to attend one of Mannino=E2=80=99s classes on voicing=20=
the Kawai=20
> hammer.  He=E2=80=99s giving one in Sacramento in February.  You do have t=
o listen to a=20
> little bit of Kawai hype (sorry Don) but it=E2=80=99s a very useful and in=
formative=20
> class that will tell you quite a bit about voicing that particular hammer=20=
and=20
> is applicable to many other hammers.  Often he does it in tandem with one=20=
of=20
> Kawai=E2=80=99s master techs so it can be an opportunity to watch and list=
en to them=20
> work as well.  Brooks also gives a class for his Abels but I find his=20
> techniques are best used only on his own hammers.  Anyway, the conventions=
 are=20
> useful for this type of thing. =20
> =20
>=20

David, and David,

I will be at the Sacto convention and look forward to Don's class, which wil=
l=20
be especially helpful since I work on many Kawai pianos.

Texts do seem to be sparse.  Some of the texts I HAVE seen are a bit=20
circumspect in dealing with aforementioned specific needling areas, angles,=20=
and=20
depths, and they often disagree with each other, not to mention with the mor=
e=20
up-to-date things I read on this list and elsewhere.

Thanks for your responses,

Dave Stahl