Good book on voicing...? (PS)

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Fri, 19 Nov 2004 11:05:19 -0600

I forgot to add, to conduct this type of testing the stike surface needs to
be fairly smooth.

Also, with hammers that are too light, the sound gets thin and not enough
tone color change is available.

Barbara Richmond, RPT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stéphane Collin" <collin.s@skynet.be>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, November 19, 2004 10:37 AM
Subject: Re: Good book on voicing...?

Does anyone have guide lines as how to diagnose a too heavy or too light
hammer on basis of the sound it produces (instead of on basis of weight
control) ?

Best regards

Stéphane Collin

Dang! I was waiting to write about this with my report about the results at
the Big, Dead Hall.  OK, I'll tell you what I did with the question of
hammer weight and tone production.

You can experiment by taking hammer assemblies off from one area and placing
them in another.  You'll have to re-regulate the notes, but if your voicing
is even in the first place, you'll get an idea of what a lighter (or
heavier) hammer will sound like.

In my case, the heavier (too heavy) hammers produced a tone that I can best
describe has having "interference."  When I moved lighter hammer assemblies
down to where I was testing (from a fifth above or even an octave above),
the tone blossomed and became more focused.  The progression of tone quality
from soft to loud was extremely impressive.

Have fun.

Barbara Richmond, RPT
somewhere near Peoria, IL