Your practical hammer weight experiment (was RE: Good book on voicing...?)

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Fri, 19 Nov 2004 18:11:04 -0600

Hi Trent,

Actually, I'm not smart enough to think up such a gem.  But I am a good
student (still in learning plenty after 22 1/2 years) and willing to try =
new
things. So, thank Bill Ballard, he's the one who suggested the =
experiment to
me, though later he admitted he had never actually done it.  That guy!  =
:-)

I wasn't experimenting for the sake of piano science, only trying to =
find
what would work on *this* particular piano (Steinway D) with *this* set =
of
hammers (big & heavy).  So, I can't make any generalizations or proclaim =
any
knowledge or wisdom on the subject of hammer weight--only my taste in
voicing.  I had three concerns to rectify--carrying power, touchweight =
and
musical flexibility for the pianist.

With the too heavy hammers, the tone was muffled, though
pleasant--especially compared to the previous granite voicing.  Compared =
the lighter hammers, the too heavy hammers did not carry as well out =
into
the hall.  The range of tone color was not as good with the too heavy
hammers as with the lighter ones.

Actually, everything was improved with the lighter hammers, initial =
attack
through decay.  Again, the tone color variety available was superb.

I'm sorry I can't be more scientific about it all, I was just searching =
for
the best voice for this piano in this setting.  I'm planning on writing
about my adventure and getting into more detail, later.

My past experience with hammers that were too light (and it was may =
fault
they got that way! :-o), again on a D, was there was not enough power or
depth of tone.  Those Yamaha clips to add weight saved me until =
something
could be done.  Whew!

It's an easy experiment.  Just remember to number the hammers!  :-)

Barbara Richmond, RPT

----- Original Message -----=20