Mysterious Buzzing

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Sat, 20 Nov 2004 16:07:38 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Patrick C. Poulson" <pcpoulso@pacbell.net>
Subject: Mysterious Buzzing

> Hello All: I need some help in tracing down a buzz in a Vose upright
piano.
> The buzz in question shows up while playing F5, whichi is two notes down
> from the strut. I have done all the usual tests and corrections that I
> usuall rely on, such as looking for cracks in the sound board, pressing on
> ribs in search of loose glue joints, reseating the strings, smoothing down
> the V-bar, cleaning up the notching, and cursing under my breath. We also
> vacuumed out the cabinet inside and out. Any ideas? Thanks,
> Patrick C. Poulson

 Patrick,
    No , Can't help you.

    Seriously,We've all been there---What can help is to have someone
generate the buzz whilst you crawl up ,under,over ,behind and around this
thing.Locating where the buzz is loudest can be a good start.For example if
its louder at the top in front one would look to pressure bar etc as opposed
to louder behind the soundboard at the edge would direct you to the
soundboard-rim connection.
    I'm not inferring that either of these is your problem ,but narrowing
down location is a good start.
    If you can isolate this buzz to one unison and further to one string,
sometimes replacing the string can eliminate the buzz,
    I know its not very conclusive as to the cause,but it will sometimes
work.
    Tom Driscoll RPT