Mysterious Buzzing

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Sat, 20 Nov 2004 17:13:46 -0500

Treat ribs and rim with thin CA glue, even though you don't see an obvious source of a loose joint. I've seen this take care of several buzzes. When you let the CA glue run down the rib, watch close. I'll bet you see it run into the joint in several of the ribs. To glue the upper part of the rim, do it first when bottle is full. Just hold it vertically, aim at joint and squeeze. The capillary action will actually pull the glue into the joint vertically.

I hope you also eliminated other potential sources, like the clock on the wall, vase on the shelf, etc. I've seen those buzz when you would swear it was coming from the piano.

Also, look for long hinge pins as a source, if the piano has one.

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On Behalf Of Patrick C. Poulson
Sent: Saturday, November 20, 2004 3:25 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Mysterious Buzzing

Hello All: I need some help in tracing down a buzz in a Vose upright piano.
The buzz in question shows up while playing F5, whichi is two notes down
from the strut. I have done all the usual tests and corrections that I
usuall rely on, such as looking for cracks in the sound board, pressing on
ribs in search of loose glue joints, reseating the strings, smoothing down
the V-bar, cleaning up the notching, and cursing under my breath. We also
vacuumed out the cabinet inside and out. Any ideas? Thanks,
Patrick C. Poulson
Registered Piano Technician
Piano Technicians Guild