StwyGrand lid prop modification.

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sun, 21 Nov 2004 10:41:45 EST

Dale writes:
<<  I got to thinking about this so I decided to try a  conversion.
  If I could devise a simple quick & easy way to add  a short stick to the
original I'd be happy.
   I took theorigianl stick & located a slot 1/2  inch wide & about 9 inches
long slot based on the approximate location of  its newer factory
counterpart.
I traced the slot pattern in pencil, decided how  deep the slot should be &
then drilled out the material between the lines  with a 7/16 inch Forster
bit.
  At the base end of the long stick, where the short  sticks pivot is
created, it is necessary to create an  opening  completely thru the long
stick, for
perhaps an inch or  more So the short end of the short stick's end has
clearance in the open position. Easier seen the typed. You know what I  mean.
Look at
one.
    It's basically & simple mortising  operation. Once the meat of wood is
removed the sides of the slot can be easily  straightened & trued up with a
very
sharp chisel. I used a one inch crane  neck to clean  up the slot. Any sharp
chisel will do. Use wider ones  to keep the edges true. >>

I believe that Willis Snyder demonstrated a template box they use for this
operation (maybe at the New Orleans convention?).  It employs a router with a
straight bit, and I think takes approx. 3 minutes to complete.  Anybody got the
notes on this?
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT