Flame hardened capos/ Ron O (Was Wound Trichords)

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Sun, 21 Nov 2004 18:26:47 -0500

Re: Wound TrichordsYou wrote:

<<Just recently a colleague returned from Steinway in Hamburg after =
enduring the usual indoctrination. He told me that Steinway are now =
flame hardening their capo bars, and that they've been doing it for a =
couple of years (yes, he asked Hartwig Kalb). We have been doing it =
since 1995.>>

At some point in the intermediate future, I'll be considering what to do =
about my groovy capo bar.  I would love to know the details of your =
process.  In particular, is there any risk to the plate (i.e. cracking)?

Also, have you tried any other approaches? =20

I've toyed with the idea of grinding a groove in the capo and epoxying =
drill rod stock into the groove. =20

Is there also the possibility of grinding off the cast capo completely =
and fitting the plate with a fully hardened capo replacement???

More exotic still, I've tried finding some silicon nitride part that =
could be used as bearing point  (VEEEERY high Rockwell hardness rating =
-- and very smooth surface for easy rendering), to be "inserted" with =
epoxy into the capo.  I'm not optimistic I'll find a suitable part

Thanks!  (And thanks for the wonderful discussion about trichords.  I'm =
still digesting it!  ;-)

Peace,
Sarah,