Wound Trichords

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Mon, 22 Nov 2004 07:22:05 +1100

At 10:39 AM -0500 21/11/04, Erwinspiano@aol.com wrote:

>    I too am not a fan of trichords but the=20
>trichords on S&S D' do not bother me aurally &=20
>no doubt lends to there power & unique sound. By=20
>now some one has surely rescaled this piano with=20
>bichords for the top 7 bass trichords & has an=20
>opinion as to the sound?

Just done it Dale. We're stringing the piano=20
today and tomorrow. Should have some views on it=20
by next Monday.

The Wangaratta 1962 Hamburg Steinway D is just=20
about ready to return to service af ter receiving=20
a sound board cutt-off , a treble cut-off behind=20
the top two treble sections, an extra hardwood=20
back beam to replace the 'bell', (image links can=20
be supplied to those who wish to see them,=20
contact me privately) a new I-rib all Sitka=20
spruce soundboard and a completely revised string=20
scale. The treble scale is my log-style scale=20
from 1992, while the bass scale uses the standard=20
speaking lengths, but has revised components with=20
the trichord notes being changed to bichords. The=20
hitch pin field was modified for all the=20
bichords, so that the back scale lengths are the=20
same for each bichord pair.

And for the information of S&S, all of the above=20
mentioned modifications are listed on a screen=20
printed label on the sound board for all to see.=20
So we are not 'passing off', thank you very much.

This piano also got a reshaped and hardened capo=20
bar and a detuned front duplex system.

Just recently a colleague returned from Steinway=20
in Hamburg after enduring the usual=20
indoctrination. He told me that Steinway are now=20
flame hardening their capo bars, and that they've=20
been doing it for a couple of years (yes, he=20
asked Hartwig Kalb). We have been doing it since=20
1995. Last year a B=F6sendorder representative=20
claimed that my bar hardening procedure was=20
'experimental'. It was experimental for us back=20
in 1995, and routine ever since. Back in 1995 I=20
was the subject of a huge dummy spit from=20
Steinway, when Werner Husmann claimed in a report=20
that I, "new nothing about Steinway tone=20
building". And now, eight years after giving me a=20
grilling, they're using the same technique to=20
harden their capos. Their publicity department=20
seems to have been remarkably quite on this one.=20
Previously, they claimed to be laser hardening=20
the capos. But the laser hardening was useless.=20
The pianos from that time had grooves in the bars=20
right from new.

The City Recital Hall here in Sydney received the=20
first Steinway D, to my knowledge, which had the=20
laser hardened bar. I checked this piano as  soon=20
as it arrived. The bars were already grooved from=20
the string aligning process. The tone of this=20
piano has been unremarkable since new.

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY