Wound Trichords

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sun, 21 Nov 2004 10:39:03 EST

List
   I too am not a fan of trichords but the trichords on S&S  D' do not bother
me aurally & no doubt lends to there power & unique  sound. By now some one
has surely rescaled this piano with bichords for the top  7 bass trichords &
has an opinion as to the sound?
   The only spot I've ever employed tri-chords with success is on  the first
2 tenor notes of Mason BBs & S&S B. On the S&S B the  tension is sooo low,
ie.105 lbs per string at note 21. INstalling these 2 notes  as  wrapped tric
-hord unisons gets the tension up into the 140 lb range  & provides for a quite an
improved good transition from bass to tenor.  Not perfect though.
    Also as RonN points out  it's a difficult string to  wind & get right.
And such is the case that now  GC will no longer make  them for me so I called
Arledge. God bless him, he's willing to try anything. I  love a can do attitude.
  I was told by my bass string maker that this spot on both pianos is  too
long for bichords. Any one else confirm this?  The B  really needs  about 5
pair of bi-chords liike the S&S A's & no doubt  a shorter in length & placed
transiton bridge.
 I recently put a new belly in a 6 ft Weber that had 4 pair trichord  in the
top end of a 26 note bass. They sounded  poor. I  rescaled it  for bichords
with good success. I filled the extra plate holes with appropriate  sized rubber
buttons. & it looks fine.
  Good discussion. Enjoyed it.
    Dale Erwin

Not  a bad idea so much as a less than ideal fix. Putting the wrapped
bichords  on the low end of the tenor bridge will likely make it less bad,
if it can  be made to fit into the scale. For instance, that 38.75" C#-3
with plain  wire trichord will be at about 24% of breaking tension
(regardless of wire  size, within reason). That's pretty low, and will be
very reactive to  tension changes resulting from humidity fluctuations,
meaning it will go  out of tune quicker and farther than unisons farther
up-scale, or down  scale in the high bass. Tension will be determined by the
wire size used  there. For instance, unison tension with #20 will be about
404 lbs, or  about 369 lbs with #19. Going to a bichord unison, dropping two
or three  half sizes for the core, and figuring wrap to get back near the
unison  tension that was originally there will raise the break% to around
40%.  That's going to be a more stabile unison with humidity changes, and
sound  better too. The trouble is, that puts you at the bottom of the list
of  available copper wrap sizes, requiring about a 0.007" wrap to keep the
tension down around where it was with the plain strings. Arledge uses as
small as 0.006" for copper wrap. That takes care of C#-3, if the impedance
and inharmonicity connects reasonably with the high bass. Now you'll
probably want to go 2-4 notes higher with wrapped bichords to blend the
impedance and inharmonicity into the rest of the treble. What happens? You
maybe need 0.006" wrap for D-3, and smaller than is available for the next
one or three. There's the problem, and the reason this doesn't always work
that well, and the reason for transition bridges. The speaking lengths are
too long at that pitch for wrapped strings. What you can get away with
depends on the individual scale and what you have to work with.

Ron  N