...Tuning Down

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Sun, 21 Nov 2004 20:18:07 -0800

>> I've heard that 'grunge bands' tune the E string to C#....

"Grunge bands?" I don't think there's been grunge bands since '92 or '93.

 Many what I would call hard rock/pop bands DO tune their guitars and bass
down a step, to D, or even a step and a half, to C#. The whole track gets
deeper, fatter, meatier, harder/cooler sounding, whatever. Trend began with
Zeppelin, then Stevie Ray Vaughan, then Nirvana; now about every third or
fourth "rock" single on pop radio is a tuned-down track.

>>for the guttural effect they desire.

Oh yeah, Jon. Rrrrrrhhhhh.

Best,

David Andersen