rusted tuning pins

Alpha88x@aol.com Alpha88x@aol.com
Mon, 22 Nov 2004 00:31:27 EST

Greetings,

         I purchased a bunch of piano stuff from a gal who said she is
getting out of it. There was alot of good stuff for the price of it however there
are a couple of boxes of questionable tuning pins.

         First, there are pins that have a slight amount of rust, not much at
all just very small shallow spots. Are these pins good for maybe old uprights
or somthing or should pins with even the smallest amount of rust never be
used? How meticulous should one be with this sort of thing?

         Second, the tuning pins in another box feel slightly oily. I think I
am just going to take them to the scrap. They could contaminate a pinblock
couldn't they?

Its so late
Ju;ia GOttchall,
Readong, PA