Mysterious Buzzing

Carl Teplitski koko99@shaw.ca
Mon, 22 Nov 2004 14:41:55 -0600

Some time ago, the Yamaha teaching school owner in my area called and asked
me if I could look at a studio piano which the teachers had been complaining
about.
Apparently there was a buzz when some notes were played. I actually couldn't
reproduce
the effect, so the owner came in and finally made it buzz. Well, while he was
there, I tried
the normal chechs to isolate the noise, to no avail. When he left, I continued
and finally
decided that the problem had to be in the keybed. Started to take some keys out,

and spotted a womans hairpin laying in the keybed, in some dust and lint. Sure
enough,
when I held the pin tight, the noise stopped. I called the owner in to see this,
because
I think it's good for nontechnical people to see that these are problems which
can occur,
and can be very difficult to find, because most people don't appreciate the
situation.
Took all the keys out and vacummed. Problem solved, but for a couple of weeks he

brought it up whenever there was a problem of anykind. ( in jest, of course ). A
good man,
and appreciated what happened.

Carl / Winnipeg