groovey capo

Elwood Doss edoss@utm.edu
Wed, 24 Nov 2004 09:23:34 -0600

I'm assuming the capo d'astro rod can be replaced.  I've seen a few
older pianos with the rod configuration on the capo.  It makes sense to
make it replaceable, rather than having to dress the v-bar when the
piano is restrung.

Joy!
Elwood

Elwood Doss, Jr. M.M.E.; RPT
Piano Technician/Technical Director
Department of Music
145 Fine Arts Building
The University of Tennessee at Martin
Martin, TN  38238
731/881-1852
-----Original Message-----
From: Don [mailto:pianotuna@yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2004 9:22 PM
To: PTG
Subject: groovey capo

Hi Sarah,

Young Chang (among others, I'm sure) has done a "rod"
It can work well if the "right* material is chosen.
Sometimes it is not field tested enough. There *can*
be too much friction for the strings to render.

I like the idea as sooner or later the bar will need
reshaping. It seems a "no brainer" that just putting a
new rod in place would be a better fix. However, I'm
not a piano designer--just a lowly old tooner.

On Bosendorfer pianos the capo can be removed. I
suppose that means it can be replaced.

>I've toyed with the idea of grinding a groove in the
capo and epoxying drill rod stock into the groove.

=====
Regards,
3004 Grant Rd, Regina, SK, S4S 5G7

http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/