groovey capo

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Thu, 25 Nov 2004 07:50:50 +1100

Elwood, Don, Sarah and all,

>At 9:23 AM -0600 24/11/04, Elwood Doss wrote:
>
>I'm assuming the capo d'astro rod can be replaced.  I've seen a few
>older pianos with the rod configuration on the capo.

Its an excellent idea, but the rod must be well
seated all along the capo, or the tone with
suffer where the bar is not firmly located. A
former employee once re-fitted a bar carelessly,
allowing the end of bar to ride slightly out of
the groove. The tonal deterioration, right where
the rod was riding the cast, was obvious. He had
to loosen the string-section tension and tap the
rod along to where it belonged and re-tension the
section.

Yamaha used a hardened bar in the first of their
V process plates (around 1977). They were
claiming a bar hardness of C60 on the Rockwell
scale in their literature of the day (piano wire
is around 45C). However, they were using quite
conventional string approach angles and they ran
into problems with string breakage quite quickly.
I think the idea was excellent, and it worked
very well for those instruments which were being
maintained by techs who were careful not to move
the strings too much when tuning. For those
pianos which routinely were being reefed all over
the shop, string breakage would set in real quick.

>   It makes sense to
>make it replaceable, rather than having to dress the v-bar when the
>piano is restrung.

If the rod or indeed just a plain capo is
properly hardened it won't need reshaping again
when the piano is re-strung.

There can, but only if the bar isn't hard enough.
A harder bar will have less friction because the
strings will sit on the bar instead of digging a
groove into it. However, if the string approach
angle is too high, a hard bar will result in
considerable string deformation. This can result
in premature string breakage. The solution is to
avoid too much string approach angle. I don't let
it go over 15 degrees.

>. . . On Bosendorfer pianos the capo can be removed. I
>suppose that means it can be replaced.

The Bösendorfer capo can be removed, reshaped
then hardened separately, which is very
convenient. We've done it several times.
Bösendorfer haven't discovered the advantages of
a properly shaped and hardened bar yet. I had an
experience here a couple of years ago where a
local tech, who is a known trouble maker, went
running to Bösendorfer to tell tales about 'the
nasty southern tech' who was hardening their
original soft capos. Bösendorfer obliged by
replying that they regarded such work as
experimental. The local tech seemed to be fishing
for an excuse to bring my work into question. It
all worked out very nicely for him. His scare
mongering encouraged the client not to pay for
our work, and he now 'maintains' her piano - very
cosy. I notice that the piano owner/musician has
the particular Bös Imperial listed on her
website's recording studio inventory. Strangely
enough, there's no mention of the fact that she
got the capo section repaired without actually
paying for it.

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY