Rubber Nuts Replacement on Spinet

Isaac Sadigursky irs.pianos@earthlink.net
Wed, 24 Nov 2004 19:40:15 -0800

Rechargable screwdrivers do speed-up process of removing and installing those rubber grommets.Just grab the sticker with vise-grips and zoom-out-zoom-in.. apprentice in the shop can learn a great deal of patience while doing it.. you don't need MIT diploma do that job. pre-lubricate the wires with light penetrating-softening oil carefully. Good luck!                       Happy Thangsgiving! Isaac

----- Original Message -----
From: Farrell
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: 11/24/04 8:27:39 AM
Subject: Rubber Nuts Replacement on Spinet

Looked at a 1962 Wurly spinet today with the rubber nuts on the key ends. Of course, the rubber was hard and brittle. However, in this case, the rubber seemed to also be fused to both the metal fork thing on the key end as well as the threaded rod that goes to the wippen. I've replaced sets of rubber nuts before, but only when they came off reasonably easy. This appears to me to have the potential to be a time consuming nightmare of a job where each fork and each threaded rod would require quite a bit of tedious cleaning of hard rubber before installing and adjusting the new nuts.

Anyone with experience with this situation have any advice? Thanks.

Terry Farrell