Rubber Nuts Replacement on a spinet

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 26 Nov 2004 10:47:05 -0500

That sounds good Joe. Thanks.=20

Now for a question aimed directly at the job time estimator king =
himself: How many hours would you plan on such a job - including =
regulating lost motion?

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Joe Garrett=20
  To: pianotech=20
  Sent: Wednesday, November 24, 2004 9:52 PM
  Subject: Re: Rubber Nuts Replacement on a spinet

  Terry asked: "Looked at a 1962 Wurly spinet today with the rubber nuts =
on the key =3D
  ends. Of course, the rubber was hard and brittle. However, in this =
case, =3D
  the rubber seemed to also be fused to both the metal fork thing on the =
=3D
  key end as well as the threaded rod that goes to the wippen. I've =3D
  replaced sets of rubber nuts before, but only when they came off =3D
  reasonably easy. This appears to me to have the potential to be a time =
=3D
  consuming nightmare of a job where each fork and each threaded rod =
would =3D
  require quite a bit of tedious cleaning of hard rubber before =
installing =3D
  and adjusting the new nuts.

  Anyone with experience with this situation have any advice? Thanks."

  Terry,
  It's been a few years, but I think how I did it was: Use a soft, small =
wire brush wheel on the key forks, to get the "rubber" crud off. Of =
course this means having the keys out of the piano.
  For the threaded rods, I used a Nut Driver/cordless, (slow speed one), =
drill,  to remove the olde ones. Then I ran a Die down the wires of each =
one to clean the crud off. (I don't remember what the thread was!) Once =
that was done, if I recall, I put some VJ lube on each of the wires and =
spun the new "nuts" on with the Nut Driver and cordless drill. I hope =
that helps, some.<G>
  Best Regards,=20
  Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
  Captain, Tool Police