keyboard levelling

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Fri, 26 Nov 2004 11:40:43 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

>I did see one 50+ year-old American grand which had a drop screw in front
>of the balance pin holes of each key. There were no punchings on the
>balance rail pins but the drop screw "heads" rested on a strip of cloth on
>the balance rail. The keys didn't need leveling but the whole job couldn't
>take more than 15 minutes to accomplish. If this method were retrofitted
>as described, one problem is that the key ratio would be changed. But it
>would work well if the keys were being replaced with new ones which
>incorporated this design.

This design has been mentioned by Jack Wyatt on the list.  Archives may
yield a bit more info.

>I seem to remember somebody at Steinway working on this idea a while back
>but nothing has come of it to my knowledge.
>
>Tom Cole

See patent 5,654,515 to W Youse for Steinway, Inc on August 5,
1997.  Another interesting idea.  I don't know why it hasn't made it into
production pianos.

Phil Ford