keyboard levelling

Keith McGavern kam544@gbronline.com
Fri, 26 Nov 2004 13:07:58 -0600

At 9:55 PM -0800 11/25/04, Isaac Sadigursky wrote:
>... On some older pianos there are clear marks from old-fashioned
>key leveling leads which had 2 sharp nails and were tapped with
>light hammer near the capstan,but,probably,it was too time
>consuming.I do have a sozen of those leads with nails and they work.

I get kind of aggressive when I re-level a set of grand piano keys.

When adding/removing balance rail shims, the clip-on type weights
tended to fall off, and the nail type weights wouldn't stay put
either, though somewhat better.

So I finally decided to ground the nails off and install Scotch
joiner plates (nomenclature?) with contact cement. This allows eight
(8) holding points per weight. I tap them on with a small hammer, and
I use all eighty-eight (88) during a re-leveling process.

And yes, it takes more time to put them on, and to take them off, but
the results are worth it for me. The only real downside I see that
would exist in some folks minds is the evidence of such activity by
the holes that have been introduced in the wood.

That's my method of madness.

Keith
--
Keith McGavern