starting the business

Brian Lawson ptg@pianotech.org
Fri, 26 Nov 2004 23:02:02 +0200

Hi, it has taken me six years to get from nothing to where I am now =
(being self employed after always being an employee), at a point where =
I'm too busy to call customers and they call me!

I always have had a Yellow Pages ad though maybe one or two a month have =
actually said they saw me there - but it is good to refer to "... in =
case you loose my number, you can always find me there"=20

Never stop advertising - i.e..  coca cola, they always are letting you =
know they are there.

Never pay more for a monthly ad than the cost of a tuning  i.e.. place =
12 ads and you outlay the cost of 12 tunings which you should easily get =
within one month.

Also you get free advertising by word of mouth: good work, well known

Brian
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Dave Mckibben=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, November 26, 2004 7:58 PM
  Subject: starting the business

  HI List:
  First let me say thanks for all the good information we read daily on =
this new list.
  I would like to ask as a new beginner, does anyone have any comments =
or ideas on the best way to ' get the business going '??
  How effective is the yellow pages, web page etc???
  I'm currently practicing with the cyber tuner, and trying to work on =
aural tuning but have not conquered the aural part yet.  I'm determined =
I will in time.  Just anxious to get the business off the ground floor !
  Currently I'm reworking a 51" upright for a friend.  New key bushings, =
most action felts, bridle straps, new strings etc etc.
  Would love any comments you might have.
  Thanks
  Dave McKibben
  Associate PTG