starting the business

Mike Kurta mkurta@adelphia.net
Sun, 28 Nov 2004 09:21:08 -0500

    Hi Dave:
    I see some great ideas and answers to your question.  Here's what =
worked for me:
    I sent a letter of introduction to all the churches and schools in =
the area I wanted to cover, telling about my services, membership in PTG =
and any introductory offers I wanted to mention.    The same goes for =
music stores and piano teachers.  You want to spend your time and money =
where it will do the most good.  I took out small ads in local papers =
and the free advertiser tabloids.  They don't cost much and keep your =
name in front of the public.  Some techs report good results with =
magnetic signs on their vehicle, I also had a small nicely lettered sign =
at the end of my driveway that was productive.
    I agree with Dave about yellow pages, it works but mainly it keeps =
your name in everyone's home when needed.  I got almost no play from the =
web.   Be sure to ask customers if you can check with them in 6 months =
or a year to see how their piano is doing and does it need tuning.  Also =
ask each new customer how they found you, that will indicate where your =
work is coming from.  Word of mouth works best, but only after you've =
been around for awhile.  If you are in an area with  a lot of other =
technicians, you need to get creative and do things a little =
differently.  Good Luck....
    Mike Kurta