epoxy coloring

Bob Hull hullfam5@yahoo.com
Sun, 28 Nov 2004 11:23:29 -0800 (PST)

Paul, Cy & Mike,

Thanks for the replies.  I did an experimental fill of
a groove I routed into a scrap piece of wood.  For
this I colored the WEST epoxy with oil based stain
(Golden Oak and Pecan Minwax stains plus a little buff
colored stuff I mixed up from Mohawk universal colors
combo of brown, white & yellow).  It hardened up in
the normal length of time and seems just as hard as
the straight epoxy mix.

But, is there a chance that it will not last or pull
away from the wood as the board shrinks and swells?

If you have had years of success with the chalk powder
and microlight, I will try to get a good color mix
that way.  I just don't want this going bad a year or
two down the road!!  It's funny how just using the
clear straight epoxy or even the buff colored filler
makes the crack have a dark brown appearance.  I think
it's because there is not enough color on the surface
to reflect light so the shadows of the sides of the
crack are seen as a dark color.? I still might check
with the Phillips.
Any other thoughts are welcome.
Happy Holidays!

Bob Hull