painting keytops?

Alpha88x@aol.com Alpha88x@aol.com
Sun, 28 Nov 2004 18:51:26 EST

Greetings,

           Can you paint white keytops? If so, what should I use?  I have a
spinet that I wish to sell, but I just do not think the piano is worth a
keytops re-covering job.

            I tried sanding them out with 150 grit then polish with a 320
grit sand paper. Its plastic keytops have very, very, fine cracks. Then, I
closely examined some of the cracks: looking at the key under magnification from the
side, (cracks are form side to side)  the cracks are all the way through the
plastic, yet the plastic is not becoming unglued off the wood.

          Said cracks are more cosmetically annoying than functionally
threatening. Then again, most spinet buyers/owners want the piano for the furniture
anyway (because they certainly dont seem to be interested in sound quality)
...prehaps I should just replace them anyway?

Julia Gottchall,
Reading, PA