My old way of removing keybushings..... (Modified by Kent Swafford)

JAMES DALLY jdally@ecr.net
Mon, 29 Nov 2004 23:07:51 -0500

Interesting but how is the prior bushing removed while the next is being
steamed?  Thanks
----- Original Message -----
From: "Barbara Richmond" <piano57@flash.net>
To: <files@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, November 29, 2004 7:55 PM
Subject: My old way of removing keybushings..... (Modified by Kent Swafford)

Hi list,

One thing I've always done well is key bushings. But after reading
various ways of removing and installing them, I was intrigued and
decided I should expand my horizons and give those newer methods a
try. Well, I tried. And now I've gone back to my "old way." :-)
For your pleasure here's a look at my set-up for bushing removal (feel
free to laugh--it looks goofy but works great).

The first picture (2004_1129Ralphsway0008) is the wire rack, the hot
plate, and the pan of water with the coffee can.

The second picture (2004_1129Ralphsway0010) is a close up of the secret
of the set-up's success--a hole in the middle of the coffee can bottom.

The third picture (2004_1129Ralphsway0012) shows the key on the
set-up, the key button centered on the hole.

Many of you may remember Ralph Stilwell, retired Yamaha technical rep
from Decatur, Illinois--he's the one who suggested this way to me some
20 years ago. The nice thing about it, is being able to control the
intensity of the steam by adjusting the temperature of the hot plate.
While one key steams, the prior key's bushing is removed. It doesn't
take long! The keys don't get stained and I've never had a problem
with key buttons coming loose.

My mentor gave me the wire rack my first year in business. It was some
sort of store fixture for holding 8-track tapes, I think. :-)
Anyway, it's come in handy for another use, also. It holds my heat gun
inside and I can rest a shank (whose knuckle needs to be removed)
across the top. Again, while one heats the prior one is removed.

Barbara Richmond, RPT

[photos at:]

http://tinyurl.com/46lnw

http://tinyurl.com/5heyh