My old way of removing keybushings

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Tue, 30 Nov 2004 08:12:38 -0500

I use a modified version of Barbara's setup. Instead of her heating plate,
pan and coffee can I use the Rival soup heater setup that Spurlock describes
for hide glue. It's something I already have in the shop. Just turn the
thermostat up a little so the water is on a slow boil. Then I lay the key
across the top of the pot, bushing side down into the steam coming out of
the hole. Like Barbara, while one is being removed with tweezers the next
one is steaming. It goes just about as fast as you can pull them out with
the tweezers.

I do like her idea of the coffee can, though, to more concentrate the steam.
I think it would work with the Rival unit and I may have to give that a try.

BTW, the steam also does a nice little bit of sizing on the balance hole.

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of David Ilvedson
Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 2004 1:37 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: My old way of removing keybushings

When you say the weight was missing...what's that?   Couldn't you attach
some sort of hose to the nipple to distribute the steam directly by hand to
a set of clamped keys?   I'm like David and would like to not handle each
key if possible.   My keys are in Bill Spurlocks clamps.   At this time I'm
soaking with warm water/wallpaper remover (I like David L's idea of the pipe
cleaners, although often sizing the balance hole doesn't hurt) and using the
soldering iron with the bushing mortice tip which I stick into the bushing
for a second to steam.   The whole thing is messy and I'm willing to try a
stream of steam....now where's that Thrift Store....?

David I.