lifting strings

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Fri, 1 Oct 2004 07:29:18 -0500

So how do you use the Terminator? Do you twist it in a combination handle or
tap it with a hammer?

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Jon Page
Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2004 10:04 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: lifting strings

I  made a string lifting tool to remove the natural curve at the v-bar:
A spinet caster mounted on the end of a pin block scrap. It is levered
on the key bed against a suitable block of the closest wood at hand.
I lift the duplex side first, then the speaking length. For bass strings,
I place a scrap of wood between the unison and the wheel; a segment
of the Renner slats which come with their hammer sets is perfect.

To remove the curve at the bridge pins I made "The Terminator" out of a
screw driver (jpg attached).

I also tap the wire at the rear and front duplex. Both sides.
The loop at the hitch pin is coaxed with parallel pliers.

Jon Page