Glue; bridge pins

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Fri, 01 Oct 2004 15:36:31 -0700

I know this topic has been brought up many, many times over the years, but I
wanted to maybe get some fresh perspectives, in case there are improved
methods. I'm in the process of restringing an old "Leland" baby grand, and
also major action restoration. These procedures have pretty much depleted my
customers budget, so the added cost of major bride rebuilding is out of the
question, at least for quite a long while.
My question is, both bridges have some cracking and loose pins where the
holes have become enlarged.  I am going to fill these cracks and holes with
either epoxy or  CA glue and i wanted to get opinions as to the merits of
both. My instincts tell me that I should probably start with thin CA first
to seep into the cracks, then the thicker gap filling CA (like "Orange super
T)  to fill the larger cracks and extra space around pin holes. I appreciate
all the advice in this regard. Thanks!

Terry Peterson

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Joe Garrett" <joegarrett@earthlink.net>
To: "pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: Glue, in the field
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 08:13:03 -0700

Cy asked: "Joe,

What do you use in the field for a joint that needs to come apart in =
future, such as replacing a broken hammershank?

--Cy Shuster--
Bluefield, WV

Cy,
I use Cold Hide Glue, (Franklin's). However, there's a trick to getting it
to set up fairly quickly: When I anticipate the gluing on of a hammer shank
and/or hammer, I request a coffee mug half full of the hottest tap water,
(approx. 110-120 degrees F). I carry a small bottle of Cold Hide glue, that
will fit into the coffee mug. While I am doing the prep work, the glue is
heating in the mug. By the time the prep work is done, the glue is
hot...er..warm, I'd est. about 80-90 degrees. I've found that this will get
the glue to set up much faster, so that I feel confident that the hammer
won't go out of alignment, 10 minutes after I'm out the door! (Yikes!
DAMHIK!!!<G>)
If I am gluing a hammer shank, using a straw splint, I use Titebond. (Now,
I'll be using Titebond III). BTW, I don't like the Titebond container/tip
size/configuration, so I empty an Elmer's white glue bottle, clean
thoroughly and refill with Titebond. The reason being, that many times I
need a very small orfice, (pinpoint, if you will), to force the glue into
cracks. The Elmer's bottle will do that w/o "collapsing!
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I