Parting point was Evidence of overlacquered hammers

Sat, 02 Oct 2004 05:42:32 +0100

All very well stated and fine enough

None of which, can be  used to justify the below quotes which turned the
subject in the direction of a lacquer vs tension hammer discussion.
These two and other statements pretty clearly make the claim that there
are some pianos in which soft hammers that need to be lacquered are
clearly the best choice... will <<sound better>>.

There simply is no grounds for making such a claim. To begin with what
<<sounds better>> is a matter of taste to begin with, Secondly the
experienced voicer knows how to accomplish this very well, regardless of
hammer types, resultling differences not matters of better or worse but
varying tastes. Thirdly... the allusions to magic work both ways here...
A crappy soundboard will indeed sound crappy regardless... a point I
made very early on. Lastly.. and just for order... the only thing
magical about Andres voicing is the fact that he is exceedingly good at it.

Taxi is on the way... its 5:30 am... and I am out of here !!

Thanks one an all for the well  wishes to Greece... Its my wifes 50th
birthday present... A welcome break from the rain and cold in Bergen

Cheers
RicB

"The ease with
which the board can be overdriven or the terminations stretched beyond
their limit will render such a hammer most likely too hard to control
and one will always be fighting a harsh and distorted tone.  In this
case a softer, unheated and lighter hammer may be the best choice.
Those types of hammers may need some firming up of the felt in order to
achieve the optimum density and an application of lacquer or the
hardener of your choice works quite well.  "

"Frequently that necessitates using a hammer that is softer than you
might ordinarily use and building up the density just short of the point
where the piano can handle it."