Muting

Marcel Carey mcpiano@videotron.ca
Sat, 02 Oct 2004 21:57:20 -0400

In the tenor section for uprights, it's better to put the mute felt above
the hammer line. In the treble, I use Papp's mute until there are no
dampers, I then sometimes use a mute felt strip but usually just keep going
with the papp's. If you push the felt strip under the dampers in the treble
you'll get bleeding. Some people pull the action back so they can insert the
strip below the damper felts to do the middle strings and then remove it
until the last damper and use a rubber mute to do the outside strings for
that section.

Marcel Carey, RPT
Sherbrooke, QC
  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Matthew Todd
  Sent: October 2, 2004 8:32 PM
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Subject: Muting

  I hope you guys don't mind my elementary questions.

  When I strip mute a vertical, I have been practicing pushing the felt down
behind the dampers.  Is that bad for my practice?  Since I loose my damping
effect, everything I play "bleeds" together, so I don't know if that is a
hindrance to me hearing beats and doing my tests correctly.  What do you all
think?

  Matthew