lifting strings

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Sun, 03 Oct 2004 16:37:48 -0500

>I've seen a tool (in Schaff's catalog?) that purports to remove the kink
>in the speaking length that comes from a huge pitch raise, allegedly to
>remove false beats, so it would seem that at least some kind of kinks can
>have negative results...

At least according to whoever wrote the copy to sell the tool... Purports
is the operative word here. I expect what it really does is mash the string
into the bridge top, very like whacking it with a hammer and brass drift at
the bridge pin.

>Is this one of those situations where we have to chose the lesser of two
>evils?  (Certainly a string that's not even being struck is a bad thing...)
>
>--Cy Shuster--

Cy,
Almost nothing we do is binary black or white, yes or no, all or nothing,
because we typically don't take all the factors into account, nor can we
get anyone else to either. I'd say the first thing to do is see if you
(personally) can INDUCE a false beat in a treble string by putting a
detectable, but not intentionally abusive kink in it. Level it as usual,
tune it, and listen. If kink=beat, you have a case you can demonstrate on
demand at conventions and seminars the world over, laying the question to
rest for all time. We've all heard the story of kinks causing false beats
since before the invention of mice, but has anybody actually verified it by
creating false beats with intentional kinks? Or is it just one of those
ifyoucrossyoureyesthey'llsticklikethat things that nobody challenges
because it just might be true? While you're at it, demonstrate strings
climbing up bridge pins too, if you would. I'd still like to see that done.
Somebody ought to get to be the hero that proves this beyond doubt. It had
just as well be you.

Ron N