Evidence of overlacquered hammers

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Mon, 04 Oct 2004 20:29:01 -0700

Hi, Bernhard,

At 08:18 PM 10/4/2004, you wrote:
>Dean,
>i have it not planned yet. Is there anybody out there running Linux in the
>business?

That would be a very tough call, at the moment.  There is a great deal of
hubbub and activity around various Linux flavors, but nothing that has
really gelled yet.  I look for that momentum to pick up as more and more
folks take the time to read their end user license agreements with
Microsoft and figure out that they have, essentially, lost ownership of
their machines.

In the short term, there is not enough Linux use to justify a huge effort
to support that platform if most of your development S/Ware is
MS-based.  At the same time, there is clearly a growing number of folks who
are looking outside the MS bandwagon; and, I suspect that, inveterate
tinkerers that we are, a number of piano technicians will at least spend
some time working with Linux.

Hope this is of some use to you.

Thanks very much for your posts!

Best.