colorof felt and stringing cloth

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 6 Oct 2004 06:44:41 -0400

I dunno, that pink might just set off a candy-apple-red plate just right!

Again, I think all this should simply reflect the rebuilder's intentions. If
you are trying to rebuild a Ford Model T to original, your paint color would
of course be limited to black. But if you are making a hot rod out of it,
then any color is fair game. Same for pianos.

Look at what Steinway is doing, and has done, with some of their art-case
pianos. I love it! Nothing wrong at all with doing something outrageous.

Terry Farrell

> }
> }Recently someone asked whether mattered what color  stringing
> }cloth is used
> }when restringing a Kawai grand.  My answer would be: Yes, for me, it does
> }matter.
> }
> }For many piano manufacturers, the stringing color is connected to the
> }company's identity.  Can you imagine a Steinway with yellow or green
felts
> }on the plate?   Call me a stickler, but I am a bit saddened when I see a
> }fine old Bechstein or Bluthner, rebuilt with red stringing cloth and red
> }backed damper felts.  And when the stringing cloth is that pinky red
cloth
> }which has made the rounds, my stomach turns.  Although the felt color is
> }strictly visual and not functional, I can't help but wonder what other
> }attention to detail has been skipped in the rebuilding process.  Why
would
> }anyone skimp on five dollars on a job worth thousands?

SNIP