grand damper felt removal

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sun, 10 Oct 2004 10:56:18 -0700

Because our modern piano builders choose/chose to use glues that sped up =
production, but are next to impossible to remove with conventional =
means, (ie.heat, moisture, etc.), the only way I've found that works is =
brute force! First, I "peal" the majority of the felt off. Next, I go to =
my 1"X42" vertical sander and SAND the remaining felt off, down to bare =
wood. The main problem with this, is that you have to be VERY accurate =
with this technique, else you'll have head surfaces that are not square =
with the sides.=20
If someone can come up with something less traumatic, I definately would =
like to know what it is!
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police