Renner 'Blues'

David M. Porritt dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Mon, 11 Oct 2004 09:05:13 -0500

D.L.:

What do you mean by expensive?  When you think for 30-seconds=
 about the work involved in making hammers, I can't imagine=
 calling these expensive.  Where can you get anything=
 substantially cheaper that doesn't take two days of your time=
 (at $??.00 an hour,) to get them to sound even reasonable?  Add=
 that cost in and the Renners are dirt cheap.

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts
Southern Methodist University
Dallas, TX 75275
dporritt@mail.smu.edu

From: "D.L. Bullock" <dlbullock@att.net>
To: PTG <pianotech@ptg.org>, antares <antares@euronet.nl>
Subject: RE: Renner 'Blues'

Where did anyone get the idea that "Most Americans do not like=
 these  (Renner) hammers"?  I think the only thing anyone does=
 not like about Renners is their cost.  Every one of the finest=
 technicians I have known used Renners.  I have used them for=
 over ten years.  I do not find them to be too hard.  If one=
 piano sounds too loud they may easily be voiced down.  I prefer=
 the old style sound from pianos I restore from the teens and=
 twenties.

The new Yamaha or even new Steinway sound sets my teeth on edge=
 like fingernails on the blackboard.  Renners are exactly what I=
 am looking for.  I have only had one or two in those years of=
 Renner hammers that were in need of voicing down.  What I like=
 about them is I don't have to voice them up, but only need to=
 even them out.  I have many happy customers who agree with me=
 and they are some of the finest musicians anywhere.

If you want stone hard hammers, check out imadegawa or other=
 cheaper Asian hammers.  I had one customer who called me up a=
 month after getting his piano back from my competition.  He was=
 literally in tears.  The piano had no character in its tone and=
 was excruciatingly LOUD.  It could not even play soft if you=
 tried.  He had asked for Renner and was told " You will love it=
 when I get done"  I replaced those brand new rock hammers with=
 Renners and he then loved it.

Another customer spent $17,000. for a restoration of his Mason=
 Hamlin and when he requested Renner hammers was charged an extra=
 $2,500.00 for them.  When he got the piano back it had cheap=
 Asian hammers on it that were like Rocks.  The lawsuit he won=
 but I doubt he will get anything from the so-called piano=
 technician in Broken Arrow OK since the guy declared bankruptcy.=
  He is still doing university piano sales, however.

I am VERY pleased with Renner hammers.  I would only change if I=
 could find the hammer exactly like they make but for=
 substantially less money. (Like that will happen.)

D.L. Bullock
www.thepianoworld.com

Put the worlds greatest healer to work for WHATEVER health=
 problem you may have----YOUR OWN IMMUNE SYSTEM.  Your body is=
 capable of healing EVERY disease if you give it the right fuel. =
 Visit http://www.mannapages.com/dlbullock to learn how to get=
 the right fuel.  Also www.glycoscience.org