visual cortex and delicious foodstuffs

antares antares@euronet.nl
Mon, 11 Oct 2004 23:21:21 +0200

On 11-okt-04, at 21:57, jason kanter wrote:

> So please allow me to confirm my understanding of this.
> 	1.  	 There are several (at least two) grades of Wurzen felt. =
These=20
> include "regular", which has itself varied in quality over the past 14=20=

> years, and the recent "AA" Wurzen felt,

That's right Jason kanter.

> which is so beautiful that Andre's visual=A0cortex is reminded of=20
> delicious foodstuffs.

Is this a sarcastic remark or just 'plain funny'?

> 	2.  	The manner of hammer manufacture -- how it is pressed =
and what=20
> shape it is pressed into -- also come into play here. Ronsen and=20
> Renner use different processes?

That depends on the pressed they use. As far as I know, Ronsen uses the=20=

older hand press and Renner a new automated one. The shape depends on=20
the caul and on the applied pressure.

> Do other manufacturers also use Wurzen felt?

Yamaha uses Wurzen regular for their CFIII-S

Samick also uses regular Wurzen.  Maybe, in the mean time, other hammer=20=

makers may have started to use it.

> 	3.  	Therefore there may logically be at least 4 permutations =
of=20
> Wurzen hammers, perhaps more, and we will need to be aware of exactly=20=

> what we are using and why.
> Am I off base here?

The older Wurzen quality derives from when the former Weickert factory=20=

was taken over and was called the Wurzen factory in the early 90's.
As far as I understand it, the Wurzen factory today sells two kinds of=20=

Wurzen felt : regular quality and AA quality.
Renner is one of the main buyers and makes most of its hammers with=20
Wurzen felt, Abel apparently has a reason not to use it, Ronsen now=20
also sells AA quality but mainly (again, as far as I know) to Canada=20
and the USA.
The other hammer makers are either piano factories like Yamaha and=20
Samick or hammer makers which are still not big enough players on the=20
market to have a real name.

So you might say that, probably, only Renner and Ronsen sell Wurzen=20
covered hammers.
It is up to piano technicians to make their choice.

In the future I will try to block my "visual=A0cortex"  so that nobody=20=

will be bothered  by any "delicious foodstuff"s.

OK?

> =A0
> | |=A0=A0 | | |=A0=A0 | |=A0=A0 | | |=A0=A0 | |=A0=A0 | | |=A0=A0 | =
|=A0=A0 | | |=A0=A0 | |=A0=A0 | | |=A0=A0=20
> | |=A0=A0 | | |=A0=A0 | |=A0=A0
> Jason Kanter . piano tuning regulation repair
> jkanter@rollingball.com . cell 425 830 1561
> serving=A0the eastside=A0and the san juans

Wurzens=20
> which I=92ve only experimented with, I haven=92t found the same filing=20=

> problem.=A0
>
> David Love,
> There is basically the so called 'regular; Wurzen, which has been=20
> developed over the last 14 years.
> In the beginning of this development, this felt was kind of coarse=20
> looking, like the VFG felt Abel uses.
> Then, about 5 years ago, it was bingo time because the Wurzen felt had=20=

> become more mature and was actually really good.
> There were of course some minor points, like some sections being a=20
> little hard or a little soft, but that is a matter of controlling the=20=

> pressure, needed to glue the hammers.
> Today, those very same (Renner) hammers are far more consistent in=20
> their overall pressure because of the (Renner) machine I was talking=20=

> about.
> Then, not long ago, there suddenly was the Wurzen AA quality. This=20
> felt has been far more 'interlocked' and likewise is a little more=20
> dense.
> It also looks different because one should compare it with the=20
> difference between a real nice shawl and a real Kashmir shawl.
> It not only looks different, it feels different and sounds different=20=

> too.
> The regular quality looks like fine felt and slightly yellowish, the=20=

> AA quality looks more creamy, like nice looking whipped cream or like=20=

> the cream on a fantastic real Italian 'Capucci' .
>
> I enclose again that nice pic of our first Bechstein prototype because=20=

> that felt makes you wanna eat it :
> I hope sending this pic does not create a problem.

friendly greetings
from
Andr=E9 Oorebeek

"where Music is, no harm can be"