tuning lower notes

Tue, 12 Oct 2004 09:31:45 +0100

jason kanter wrote:

>As my aural tuning improved back in the Day, I noticed that I was often
>concentrating, in the low bass, on the fifth-tenth partial -- not to
>eliminate that beat but to make it gradually slower as I descended. Now that
>we use ETDs to do our listening, the danger is that we forget. Each piano
>has its own deep bass flavor -- some of the upper partials are stronger, but
>it varies by piano. It's extremely valuable to pay attention to what your
>ears are telling you!

Amen to that.  I personally use the ETD only as a reference, and I only
use it to directly compare coincident partials as my ear does.
Typically I reference the 6:3 coincident all the way down.  Combining
the knowledge that this pair should be quite close to pure the whole way
with what my ears tells me <<sounds>> right for the piano at hand,
insures exactly the kind of tuning I intend to execute every time.

Letting the machine do all the work for you is IMHO a less then optimal
way of maintaining your aural abilities.

Cheers
RicB