Pivoting hammer rest rail?

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Sat, 16 Oct 2004 08:19:56 -0700

Why does the hammer rail on an upright rotate towards the=
 hammers?

David I.

From: Cy Shuster <741662027@theshusters.org>
To: Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: Pivoting hammer rest rail?

I'm going to feel silly if this is a standard action feature, but=
 it wouldn't be the first time... so I'll ask anyway.

I worked on the action of a 1923 Ellington grand last week.  The=
 hammer rest rail was supported by brass rods at the action=
 brackets, with felt bushings that allowed the rail to pivot=
 upwards through roughly 90 degrees.  What's that for (besides=
 making it easier to access the wippens)?

--Cy Shuster--
Bluefield, WV