Downbearing - Setting with a loose board

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sat, 16 Oct 2004 08:50:34 -0700

Terry asked: "How do others approach this task?"

Terry,
I use the "Plate bolts". Fit the board to the rim. Of course have the =
rough bridge heights. (Of course you took measurments of the olde =
bridges.<G>) The worst one is clearing the plate struts. I drop the =
plate, adjust to approximate placement and mark the struts. Remove =
plate, rough cut for plate clearance. Once you have the struts cleared, =
drill for the plate bolts and insert them. (All of them.<G> ) I then use =
cardboard shims between the plate and the soundboard. (Front rail "card" =
punchings are good.) Cinch down, lightly and get out the string. Saw =
cuts in several places. (or router trimmer cuts, is easier.) This will =
get you in the ball park fairly quickly. The rest is in/out many times =
w/plate to fine tune the D.B. It's tedious, but can be done in less than =
a day. YMMV!<G>
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police