marking tuning pin holes for drilling.

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Sun, 17 Oct 2004 08:00:23 -0600

Hi Guy,
Actually 18,400 to 23,000 or more times <G> ?
Joe Goss RPT
Mother Goose Tools
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Nichols=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Saturday, October 16, 2004 10:32 PM
  Subject: Re: marking tuning pin holes for drilling.

  At 10:38 PM 10/16/2004 -0500, you wrote:

    It sure does make the tuning squirrelly.  There's something else I'd =
call it, but.......like........I'm a lady.  ;-)    I'm wrestling with a =
piano that has exactly that problem.  The other causes of stiction I've =
dealt with successfully mostly by lubing some way or another.  But, =
since were talking right there at the pinblock, I haven't dared.  Any =
thoughts?  Yes, yes, I've already suggested that it goes in for a new =
block.
    =20
    Barbara Richmond

  Barbara,
          The method I learned from Jamie Marks (appropriate last name) =
before he moved away from here to manage the Mason plant has worked real =
well for keeping the pin off the plate.
                  From a standard center-punch set, I pick the punch =
that just barely flops around in the hole. I insert from  a slight angle =
like the 5 degrees (+/-) of the pin in the block, and pull the punch =
towards the front as I tap it for the mark. This actually puts the =
dimple just a hair off center, and combined with the bore angle, the =
pins usually don't bind at tension.
          At the plant, we get about 80-100 blocks out of one 9 dollar =
set of punches. Your mileage may vary.

  Have fun,
  (230 times)
  Guy