yamaha wire is metric

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Sun, 17 Oct 2004 11:20:49 -0700

>>metric size IS standard size... ;)
From: b98tu@t-online.de (Bernhard Stopper)<<

What the Heck does thagt mean???

Terry Peterson

----Original Message Follows----
From: b98tu@t-online.de (Bernhard Stopper)
To: &quot;Pianotech&quot; &lt;pianotech@ptg.org&gt;
Subject: Re: yamaha wire is metric
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 08:37:55 +0100

metric size IS standard size... ;)

----- Original Message -----
From: &quot;pianolover 88&quot; &lt;pianolover88@hotmail.com&gt;
To: &lt;pianotech@ptg.org&gt;
Sent: Sunday, October 17, 2004 1:13 AM
Subject: yamaha wire is metric

&gt; Found out today that the wire size indications that Yamaha stamps on
their
&gt; grand piano bridges are METRIC, not standard sizes.  I confirmed this
with
&gt; tech Greg at yamaha corp. When I mentioned this to a couple other techs
(who
&gt; have more experience than myself), their typical reaction was,
&quot;hmmm, I
&gt; didn't know that&quot;. So, for example, 14.5 on the bridge calls for
15
standard
&gt; size. How many on the list knows this? (Probably most everyone but me!
:))
&gt;
&gt; Also, since I'm restringing my yamaha G1, after removing the old
understring
&gt; felt, i found that the &quot;curved&quot; piece at the beginning of the
plain wire
&gt; tenor section (between agraffe and tuning pins) is actually a piece of
&gt; cardboard, covered with thin felt, instead of one thick piece, as in
the
&gt; last two sections. Upon further inspection, the underside of the
cardboard
&gt; also has an extra strip of the material on one side, and a thinner
strip
of
&gt; felt on the other, for DB purposes no doubt. I wonder if you can order
these
&gt; pieces ready-made, or will i  have to just make a &quot;copy' of it
myself.
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; Terry Peterson
&gt;
&gt; Check out Election 2004 for up-to-date election news, plus voter tools
and
&gt; more! http://special.msn.com/msn/election2004.armx
&gt;
&gt;